Causes of psychosis can vary from person to person; some are described on Mind’s website.
Carers, friends and family should also make sure they are receiving the support they need. There are several mental health helplines that provide excellent support and advice to family, friends, carers and support workers. Carers UK is a charity providing specialist advice and support for carers. It has an online forum that you may find useful:
Other useful helplines and websites are listed below.
- Mind – A leading mental health charity. Their website contains information and advice about mental health problems and support. The Mind Info Line is available from 9am – 6pm on weekdays – 0300 123 3393
- YoungMinds – Provides information for children, young people and parents worried about their children. The YoungMinds Parents is available from 9.30am – 4pm on weekdays – 0808 802 5544
- Sane – SANELine provides confidential emotional support, practical help and information for people with mental health problems – 0300 304 7000
- Rethink – Provides online information on psychosis and an an advice and information line from 10am – 2pm on weekdays psychosis – 0300 5000 927
- Student Minds
- Samaritans – Samaritans have heard many people’s stories and you can discuss anything with them in complete confidence. 24 hours a day 365 days a year – 08457 90909
- HeadMeds gives young people in the United Kingdom general information about psychiatric medication. The site includes a jargon buster covering common words terms related to mental health medication.
- The Hearing Voices Network have lots of resources and cases studies if you’re hearing voices or seeing visions that are not there.