I'm looking for within of


Find local dentists in London.

If you need urgent dental treatment, please contact your dental practice.

If you cannot speak to your dentist, call NHS 111 for help and advice.

The NHS will provide any treatment that you need to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy and free of pain.Your dentist must make clear to you which treatments can be provided under the NHS and which can only be provided on a private basis so you can make an informed choice.

Speak to your dental practice to see if they have any appointments. Everyone should be able to access NHS dental services in London.

Dental charges

Dentistry is one of the few NHS services where you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your care. The information on this page explains what you may have to pay for your NHS dental treatment.

Emergency dental treatment – £21.60 This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling.

Band 1 course of treatment – £21.60 This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

Band 2 course of treatment – £59.10 This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth but not more complex items covered by Band 3.

Band 3 course of treatment – £256.50 This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.

Find more information on NHS dental charges here.


If you are unhappy with the NHS dental care you have received, speak or write to your dental practice first. If you’re not satisfied with the way the dentist has dealt with your complaint then you can take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Where possible discuss your concerns with the dental practice first. Most issues can be resolved without you having to make a formal complaint. Try having an informal chat with your dentist or a member of staff first. A formal complaint takes time and minor issues are resolved quicker if you just speak to a person face to face, however if you are not comfortable with contacting the dental practice directly then you can contact NHS England.

For more serious cases you can also contact the General Dental Council (GDC) for advice. The GDC protects all dental patients, both private and NHS. If you’re concerned that a dentist’s ability or behaviour is below standard, you can report a dental professional online on the GDC website. The GDC will investigate concerns about:

  • very poor treatment
  • not having professional indemnity insurance
  • cross-infection issues such as using dirty equipment
  • being under the influence of drink or drugs
  • fraud or theft